Sunday, August 14, 2011

Now What?

So it's been two weeks since I finished my first marathon.  What an experience!  What a sense of accomplishment!  What a journey!  What a LONG two days of needing to use grab bars to stand up from any seated position, including the toilet!

The SF Marathon's slogan is right on:  It hurt, but it was "worth the hurt." And it didn't last long. It took about four days before I was walking normally again and by that weekend, I was more or less back to my regular running schedule.  Minus the 20-milers, of course!  Riding my stationary bike and doing some weight work was great cross training during those early days of recovery.  Like a geek, I wore my medal everywhere.  I might even wear it on the first day of school!



Speaking of school we start back tomorrow, which can only mean one thing:  I've been thinking about fall races. :grin: I don't think I'm ready for another marathon yet, but I am planning on doing the following:

August 28: Bay Area Title-9K
October 16: Nike Women's Half Marathon
November 6: The US Half Marathon

Then, of course, I'll run the annual Turkey Trail Trot (the first race I ever ran back in 2006!), and the annual Christimas Classic 5-K.

For those who wondered if this marathon nonsense was going to be a one-shot deal or an ongoing pursuit, here's your answer:  I signed up for next year's San Francisco Marathon using early registration!  And yes, I plan on doing the full again! 

Not only does the transition back to school have me thinking about upcoming races, but it's forcing me to focus on a big decision regarding whether to sell our house and purchase a slightly larger one not far from here, or stay in the little house that we purchased in 1995.  You wouldn't think that this would require months of anxiety and agonizing, but in these economic times, there's no way around it.  It's abundantly clear that the middle class is no longer welcome in San Francisco.  (Well, not just in San Francisco; the middle class is under siege in this country, period.  It's just particularly bad here due to the insane cost of housing.)

Training for the marathon, and now, getting back to my regular running routine, has kept me as sane as possible through these stressful weeks.  I am sure that training will steady me through the weeks ahead. Although I started running 30 years ago because of the physical benefits, it has become both a physical AND mental outlet for me.  To be out in the fresh air and enjoying the beauty of Golden Gate Park, or the beach, or my neighborhood, helps clear my head and lift my spirits.  For that, I am very grateful.

Here's to a fall filled with teaching, learning, good times, and, of course, many, many miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment