Sunday, July 10, 2011

Let the Countdown Begin

On Friday, I finished my last 20-mile training run.  O.K., so it was really closer to 21, but I rounded down.  I always round down.  That way, when I'm having a lousy run, I can tell myself it's O.K. to cut it short, because I can add those extra fragments back in.  Ah, the warped mind of a runner...

This was not the best run, and I think the cause can be summed up in one word:  food.  I wasn't really paying attention to what I was eating the day/evening before the run, and when I thought back afterward, I realized that I had probably not eaten enough carbohydrates -- or not eaten enough, period.  Yep, I actually should have eaten more!  And people wonder why I run!

A couple of other problems cropped up during this run as well:  My lower back and the inside of my left leg started to ache.  I think the back issues stem from the fact that I have been running so many hills, and the "posterior tibial tendon" pain is from not doing what I should have done earlier this week:  checked the mileage on my shoes.  With the race three weeks out, I will need to switch to a new pair now so that they will be totally "broken in" by race day.

The good news is that this marks my last extremely-long training run before the marathon, and it feels great to have it done.  It also caps off my highest-mileage week to date:  43!

I will be spending a lot less time on the roads and trails this coming week, especially since Friday's long run tops out at 13 miles. This is a good thing, since my back and legs have let it be known that they need some rest.  And, with our pending move and all of the things I need to get done around here, having that extra time will be invaluable.

I am so glad that the San Francisco Marathon takes place during the summer, because cannot imagine trying to train for this event during the school year.  Well, I suppose I could do it, but I'd forfeit my sanity!

Let the taper and the countdown to race day begin!

P.S.  I even got two strength/weight workouts in this week -- short but effective ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment